Friday, April 13, 2007

Outed


Well, we may have already kind-of known, heard whispers, or dismissed them as sheer rumor. Hell, we may have even known, but choose not to approach the subject out of respect for their privacy. But, apparently OUT doesn't take such a stance.
They've been outed, more or less, CNN's own Anderson Cooper, and Jodie Foster. Both of whom I'm fans of - ever since Contact and while Cooper was still just another anchor on CNN at 3AM.
Out explains that writer Michael Musto's article explores "the Glass Closet," in which he identifies a number of gay celebrities and public figures who live gay social lives "while stubbornly avoiding any on-the-record revelations, a delicate dance that's difficult to pull off." Musto challenges those such as Anderson Cooper, Jodie Foster, "Will & Grace" star Sean Hayes, comedienne Wanda Sykes and former chair of the Republican National Committee Ken Mehlman, who dance around the question rather than give a "yes" or "no" answer.
"It's true that stars are free to put up whatever walls they want in order to maintain boundaries with the public," writes Musto, "But even at their most controlling, straight stars never seem to leave out the fact that they're straight in interviews. Whenever a subject tells me, ‘I won't discuss who I'm dating' or ‘I resent labels,' I generally know not so much that they're passionate about privacy but that they're gay gay, gay."
Really Musto? Even though I'm much too timid to actually wish to be in the spotlight, I'm pretty sure, even being openly gay, I wouldn't consider it anyone's business about who I'm dating. Perhaps I'm just too oldschool, actually considering that others may want a bit of privacy in their personal life.
Though, admittedly, I have to say, somewhat begrudgingly, that OUT supports have a point when they state: "How is a construction worker supposed to come out when the top strata of society won't even come out of the closet?"
Of course, I think I've already witnessed an effect of this story; on CNN recently a corespondent commenting on the outrages attire some were wearing at a certain computer convention said, "Clothes Anderson Cooper's mother would be proud to wear."
Yeah CNN, because so many gays wear ill-fitting, ill-designed clothes. At least get your stereotypes right if you insist on using them.

No comments: